Prostate cancer is largely affecting man all over the world. It has a higher level of survival in cases where it has been detected early. The only way for early detection is when you regularly go for medical checks. It affects men of the ages of 50 years and above and its signs may not show at the initial stages.
Awareness programs by health organizations stress on the need for adequate information on the subject. Information on prostate cancer can be found on the internet, you will find websites like WebMD which will offer you informative articles, hence empower you to take charge of your health. The programs have awareness weeks where they ask men to go for screening to be able to check the status of the prostate glands. When a person is developing prostate cancer the symptoms are usually mild and as it grows it begins to manifest to the extent that it affects your health.
You must be on the lookout for changes in urination to detect the signs of prostate cancer, they are outlined below:
- Frequent urination even though this sign may be confusing because diabetes too leads to the recurrent urination so ensure that you go for the prostate specific antigen tests because it is a blood test that will help the doctor spot the early signs of cancer. The test measures a protein that is found in males and the highest level of this protein presents the highest risks for prostate cancer.
- Painful urination.
- Reduced flow of urine.
- Blood in the urine or semen.
- Dribbling – this is the incomplete emptying of the bladder.
- Painful ejaculation
- Erectile dysfunction
- Constant lower back, thigh and hips pain.
As soon as you experience the above mentioned signs, it is advisable that you schedule an appointment and consult with your doctor. Ensure that you also read information on the disease and also talk to your family member and friends because you will need their support during the treatment and recovery process.
When the signs of prostate cancer are detected early then you have a higher chance of survival as compared to when it is detected late. Make sure that you are aware of the risk factors that attracts prostate cancer and they include the age which is normally 50 years and above. In case you are coming from a family with a history of prostate cancer, your ethnic group especially the blacks.
- Prostate Cancer Prognosis